Pre & Post-Operative Therapy
Balance Solutions provides both Pre and Post-Operative Rehabilitation therapy to help assist with a faster recovery. Pre-operative exercises can help to reduce your length of stay both in the hospital and at a rehabilitation facility, improving cardiovascular fitness and strength. Exercise provides positive effects on your general physical fitness level and postoperative outcomes, thus decreasing your risk of complications post- surgery. The stronger and more physically fit you are before surgery, the easier your recovery can be after surgery.
Pre-operative Physical Therapy
Pre-operative physical therapy can improve your cardiovascular fitness, strength and functional mobility prior to surgery; thus allowing for a better outcome post-surgery and a faster recovery!
Our pre-operative physical therapy program is designed by your physical therapists to help you prior to your surgery, and to improve your outcome post- surgery. After a thorough evaluation by your physical therapist, an exercise program tailored to meet your specific needs will be established. The goals of our pre-op program include:
- Decrease pain and inflammation
- Increase functional strength
- Improve range of motion
- Improve movement patterns
- Improved cardiovascular fitness
- Provide you with a good understanding of the exercises that you will perform after surgery
- Mentally prepare you for surgery
- Educate you on the proper use of crutches, cane or walker should you need one post-surgery
Developing a relationship with your physical therapist prior to surgery, and discussing post-surgical expectations and goals can help to mentally prepare you for your surgery and recovery afterwards.
Physical therapy is often indicated following most orthopedic surgeries to facilitate a faster recovery. Physical therapy may start anywhere from a few hours post-op to a few weeks after surgery depending on need for immobilization following a surgery.
An individual’s ability to regain their range of motion and strength to eventually return to all normal daily and recreational activities often depends on physical therapy. Specific retraining may be required to restore normal movement patterns. Physical therapists are trained to restore range of motion and strength without compensatory/faulty movement patterns, thus preventing re-injury during and after the recovery process.
At Balance Solutions you will be evaluated by a skilled licensed physical therapist to determine all factors contributing to your recovery. Initial goals will be established to minimize the adverse effects of surgery, such as pain and swelling, as well as to restore normal movement, flexibility and function. Functional goals and an individualized exercise program, both tailored to meet your specific needs, will then be established to help you resume your normal activities and restore your range of motion, strength and mobility.
Post-operative rehabilitation may include, but not be limited to the following interventions:
- Pain reduction techniques
- Flexibility & stretching exercises
- Range of motion exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Posture & ergonomic training
- Balance, coordination, and proprioceptive exercises
- Gait training
- Manual therapy techniques
- Pain reduction
- Decrease edema
- Decrease muscle guarding & spasm
- Improve scar tissue mobility
- Improve joint mobility & mechanics
- Self-care training
- Home exercise program instruction
Pre & Post –operative conditions treated at Balance Solutions include, but are not limited to;
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Total Shoulder Replacement/Reverse Shoulder replacement
- ACL repair
- Femoro-acetabular impingement (FAI)
- Cervical & lumbar spine conditions